The Humanistic Leader's Paradox: Embracing Methodical Progress for Greater Efficiency

In the pursuit of personal growth and success, we often find ourselves pushing harder, trying to achieve more, and striving to go faster. Yet, a simple story of swimming in the ocean teaches us a profound lesson that can be applied to the realm of humanistic leadership and management. As we navigate the dynamic waters of leadership, it is essential to understand that sometimes, a slower, more methodical approach can paradoxically lead to quicker and more efficient progress.

Learning to Swim Methodically

I have been swimming for exercise for a while now. I've gotten stronger and can swim longer and not get as winded as I did when I first started.  I'm also swimming at the beach in addition to swimming at the pool. Swimming at the beach is different than swimming in a pool. The waves and currents make it totally different. I set a goal for myself, to swim to a buoy and back.  At first, I couldn't quite make it to the buoy. I would be winded. Even though I know I can swim that distance easily, swimming in the ocean is way more tiring. I decided to take a new approach. In the pool, I swim methodically and honestly rather slowly. I take my time with each stroke and focus on matching my stroke to my breath, which I try to make slow and steady. When I applied this technique in the ocean, not only could I swim to the buoy easily without getting out of breath, but I got there faster than I normally do when I am trying to power my way through the water. 

The Ocean of Leadership:

Humanistic leaders understand that leading a team is much like swimming in the ocean. There are waves of challenges, currents of change, and unpredictable tides of emotions. Each individual on the team brings unique strengths and weaknesses, much like the varying conditions in the open sea. To guide our teams to success, we must adapt our leadership approach, recognizing that one size does not fit all.

The Initial Struggle:

As leaders, we often set ambitious goals, just as I did when I decided to try swimming to a distant buoy and back. However, just like swimming in the ocean, the journey to achieve these goals can be more demanding than we expect. At times, our team might feel overwhelmed and get disheartened when they cannot reach their objectives as swiftly as envisioned.


The Paradox of Efficiency:

The most striking lesson is the paradox of efficiency. Taking a slower more methodical approach not only tends to work better than random thrashing about, it is also quicker and uses less energy. 

The humanistic approach, which seems slower on the surface, ultimately leads to quicker progress and more profound growth. By acknowledging the individual needs of team members, supporting their well-being, and fostering a collaborative and trusting atmosphere, humanistic leaders create an environment where productivity and efficiency naturally flourish.

Applying the Methodical Approach:

I experimented by adopting a slower, more methodical swimming technique in the ocean and it resulted in reaching the buoy with greater ease and efficiency. Similarly, in leadership, a measured more humanistic approach that values individual progress and fosters a supportive environment can yield remarkable results and require less energy. 

How do we do this?

Emphasize Well-being: 

Instead of pushing our team members relentlessly towards their targets, we can encourage them to focus on their well-being and maintain a steady pace. By providing support and resources to address personal challenges, we create a healthier work environment, which ultimately enhances productivity.

Foster Collaboration: 

Just as each stroke was matched to the breath in the pool, a humanistic leader ensures that each task and responsibility aligns with the strengths and skills of team members. By fostering collaboration and encouraging open communication, leaders can build a stronger sense of teamwork and cohesiveness.

Empowering Through Trust: 

Trust is the foundation of a successful team, much like the buoyancy that keeps us afloat in the ocean. Humanistic leaders entrust their team members with autonomy, allowing them to take ownership of their tasks and make decisions. This empowerment fosters a sense of accountability and commitment to achieving common goals.


Conclusion:

Just as my methodical swimming technique transformed my experience in the ocean, I know from experience that embracing a humanistic leadership approach can revolutionize the dynamics within a team. By prioritizing the well-being of team members, encouraging collaboration, and empowering through trust, leaders can navigate the challenges of the ever-changing business landscape with grace and efficacy. 

Remember, as humanistic leaders, we have the power to make a difference, not only in achieving goals but also in fostering an environment where everyone can thrive and succeed.

Learn More:

If you want to learn more you can take this online course on applied humanistic leadership: https://humanistlearning.com/certificate-in-applied-humanistic-leadership/

Or get my book Applied Humanism: How to Create More Effective and Ethical Organizations - https://humanistlearning.com/new-book-applied-humanism-how-to-create-more-effective-and-ethical-businesses/




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...