Clarity and Professionalism: VUCA


I can live with volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity. What I have trouble with is clarity.

You may have heard the acronym VUCA before. It stands for volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity. It's used in a business context to describe the reality of work. Which is that - things happen.

If I have a professional relationship with someone – the thing that gets us through the volatility and ambiguity and to work through the complexity – is having clarity on what it is we are trying to accomplish. Who is responsible for what etc.

To me – clarity is what helps makes getting through VUCA doable. It’s what reduces my stress. To me, this is what professionalism is. It's about being professional enough to help increase clarity so that the team can deal with the volatility and complexity  and ambiguity as a team.

Let me give you an example of what lacking clarity leads to.

I get booked a lot to give talks. In order to give a talk - I need information.

Like - WHEN is this talk going to take place. WHERE is this talk and HOW am I going to get there. WHAT exactly do you want me to talk about? WHY do you want me to talk about it?

These are all reasonable questions and without answers to them - I can't give someone my time.   When people book me - I expect clarity on these questions. When I don't get that clarify - I can't help anyone or participate in the meeting, or even if I do - I can't support the objectives of the meeting if I don't know what they are.  Providing me with this information - so that I can do my job - despite the unknowns - is what it means to be professional.

When I get a contract, the first thing I do after winning a contract, is call the customer and ask questions and answer questions so that - there is clarity between us about expectations, roles, duties etc. 

Things happen. A Professional works to make sure VUCA isn’t going to negatively effect us – and if it does, that we have the trust we need to overcome it.


If this is something you struggle with - consider taking one of the following courses.

How to De-Escalate Conflicts Using Science: https://humanistlearning.com/de-escalate-conflicts/

Or Bridging the Millenial Divide - which has information on humanistic communication strategies: https://humanistlearning.com/generationaldivide/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...