What is Humanism?

All paths lead to Humanism. Well, most of them anyway.

Humanism is a very organic philosophy. What I mean by this is that people figure it out on their own. They don’t need to be explicitly taught this way of being. All it takes is a little rational thought and a desire to be good and to do good in the world in the absence of religion and most people will come up with a philosophy of their own very similar to what we now call Humanism.

When I was growing up, we didn’t have a word for it. We just called it being a good person. It wasn’t until I was an adult that I realized what my parents had taught me had a name.  My experience isn’t entirely unique. More and more kids are being raised without religion.

But there are still lots of people who were raised with religion and their journey to Humanism is a bit, different.  So I wanted to share a link with you from a former Christian turned Buddhist turned Humanist named Jay Forrest. His journey is not that uncommon. Where people become dissatisfied with the religion of their youth and look for other ways of being, become dissatisfied with that and keep on journeying until they arrive at humanism.  Jay’s journey was like this as was Greg Epstein, the Humanist Chaplain at Harvard.

Anyway, here is Jay explaining: What is Humanism?
“Given the nature, ground, method, and focus of Humanism, to me, Humanism is the best popular alternative to religion. I believe that Humanism is the best worldview given the evidence we have.”
Read more http://jayforrest.org/2016/01/18/what-is-humanism/ 

And if you like that – check out my interview with Jay at:  http://jayforrest.org/2016/03/25/133-jennifer-hancock-humanism-interview/

And if you want to learn more – get my Handy Humanism Handbook – free with sign up: http://www.jen-hancock.com/handyhumanism/offer.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...