I'm good at what I do, but I'm better with a team

 I'm a very effective person. But only because I don't do things all by myself. I'm good at what I do, but I'm better with a team. Collaboration is the key to my success. 



Leaders are only leaders if people willingly join and help them pursue a goal. Managers, manage. Bosses Boss. Leaders lead.  Followers follow leaders they believe in.  

I can only accomplish things if I can convince people to collaborate with me. And to do that, I need to be trustworthy, honest, compassionate, ethical and effective.  If I promise something, I need to deliver, or communicate why I can't.

That is why I succeed. It's why people like working with me.  My humanistic philosophy is why I approach all interactions as collaboration. 

My husband and I were discussing this the other day. He was wondering why I never bothered to sing when I played in a big band. I used to be a lead singer for a rock band actually. I sing well and have good presence. But as much as I am capable of being a front person, the reality is my approach to it is the same as June Christy, who used to sing for Stan Kenton's orchestra.  Someone has to sing the lyrics.  The singer is an important member of the band.  They often become stars, but good singers, are the people who make the band look good - by singing the lyrics.  

Its the same with soccer. I was a leading scorer for my teams. I once scored 6 goals in one game. I was ambidextrous and accurate with both feet. I was also good at lurking and getting defenders to forget I was there. My role model there was Giorgio Chinaglia. My job on the team was to get the ball into the goal.  Someone has to do it or the team doesn't succeed. Good coaches find players that can collaborate together to win.

Good leaders do the same thing. Everyone has a role to play and while some people might be good at some things, they almost always need help and support on the things they aren't good at.  In soccer, I could only score goals if people got me the ball.

In work, I can only succeed if I have a team that helps me succeed.   My support of others, is the same.  If I succeed, I help others on the team do their job as well.  If I was not open - no one could pass to me and the wings would not be successful. 

My point? Think of yourself as a member of a team - not as a leader, but a vital part of the team.  The last time I worked in an office, I was a "manager."  And I viewed my role as a support function. My job was to make sure the team had the supplies and support they needed to do their jobs well.  Management - is a support function. 

If you want to learn more about this philosophy and how to apply it to your own work life and management and leadership skills - try taking one of my courses. https://humanistlearning.com/programsoffered/

I have a certified Humanist Leadership Professional Course - that bundles all the various courses into a unique course of study. https://humanistlearning.com/certified-humanistic-leadership-professional/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...