Is there a core value I emphasize? Yes, there is.

 My core value as a Humanist is compassion. Here's why.  


I realize this list of humanist values doesn't include compassion. That's ok. It gets at it through the concept of empathy. 

I like to keep things simple. The list I use for myself has 3 elements. 
  • Honesty
  • Compassion
  • Responsibility.
This list appears in my book The Humanist Approach to Happiness: Practical Wisdom. Which has been translated into several languages. https://humanistlearning.com/the-humanist-approach-to-happiness-book/

It also dominates all my online courses

Why Compassion? 

Let me answer that question with a question. Why be honest? Or why be responsible? Because if you aren't honest and responsible, you will hurt others and probably also yourself.  Why does it matter if you hurt people?  It doesn't, unless you are compassionate.  

Being compassionate means you are concerned, not just about yourself, but about others as well. The only reason to behave morally, is because of compassion. Without compassion, I don't think there is morality. 

Compassion is my moral compass. If I am ever in doubt of what to do, I think about the problem from the stand point of compassion. What will do the most good and the least harm for myself and others?  

Obviously, being compassionate isn't enough, but I do think it is a necessary starting point for all morality everywhere. 

Learn more by getting one of my books or taking one of my online courses: https://humanistlearning.com/jennifer-hancock/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...