What is the point of being a Humanist?

I found a new writer I like/love. Their name is ML Clark and they are in Columbia right now.   They wrote an excellent essay - what is the point of being a Humanist in a mucked up world.

In their essay they say - #Humanism "recognizing when you are tired, and fed up, and cynical, and hurt, and wounded, and angry–all conditions in which it seems reasonable just to stop bothering–and then to make a concerted effort to keep bothering anyway.” 

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/anotherwhiteatheistincolombia/2020/02/humanist-mucked-up-world/

I like this approach to Humanism. It is realistic. It acknowledges that life is hard. And that being good - might not yield good results.  And yes - the point of Humanism is to make an effort to be good anyway.  This is something you do for you.

A while back, I posted an article about the 10 Humanist Commitments from the American Humanist Association.  These are commitments we make to ourselves in our attempt to be better people. This is about personal responsibility. What we can do to make our lives and the lives of the people we come in contact with - just a little bit better. https://humanisthappiness.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-10-commitments-of-humanism.html

As I read MLClark's essay - I was reminded of what my grandmother told me when I was little. She said I was put on this earth to love people. And that's what I've been doing ever since.  Every day - I try to love myself. Love my family. Love others. That's what my business is about too. Teaching people how to deal with difficult situations with love in their heart.  To me - this is what Humanism is about and it is what drives my approach. LOVE!

If you want to learn more - or - take a course on how to do this yourself visit my website at: https://humanistlearning.com/

The particular course I recommend is Living Made Simpler - https://humanistlearning.com/livingmadesimpler1/






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...