On Dignity and Respect - as a Humanist

I have been thinking about the terms "dignity" and "respect a lot recently.  First - let me share - this:


Stimmyabby is correct - respect doesn't mean the same thing to different people.  I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Dr. Hicks on the concept of dignity.   She challenged my thinking even more. 


I am a Humanist - so I think in terms of everyone having dignity and worth - and I need to respect their dignity and worth. When I talk about respecting people as the individuals they are - I am talking about recognizing they have dignity and worth as humans and treating them with dignity. 

I am becoming more aware of the problems with using the word respect as a short cut to the concept of dignity. Curious to know what other people think. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...