Boring is Better

The best love advice I ever got was find someone boring.


It turns out that relationship drama isn't all that it’s cracked up to be. In fact, relationship drama is a relationship killer.

What you want is someone stable who doesn't melt down at every little thing. Someone who has an internal equilibrium that helps them ride out the rough spots. Does that make them a little bit boring?  Yup. However, that stability creates a foundation for a truly loving respectful relationship to flourish.

Do I need to be wined and dine? No. I need someone who will cuddle on the couch with me and cover making dinner for me when I am tired and pick up some of my household chores for me when I am sick. To me, that’s a better expression of true love than any “love” adventure I've been subjected to. Marriage is a partnership. You help each other get the details of life taken care of so that you both can flourish. Failure to do the little things right means there are no big moments.

You don’t need adventure to fall in love. You just need love. Stable love.

FYI – this is advice I give in my book: The Humanist Approach to Happiness: Practical Wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...