How to worry less


Don’t feed your worries. Acknowledge them instead.


Most of us worry. We worry about important things and silly things. Some of this worry is good. It helps us plan and strategize for problems that have yet to occur so that we are prepared for them when they happen.  However, if we worry too much, we don’t take action and fail to accomplish anything.

When I find myself worrying too much about things beyond my control I remind myself of the serenity prayer.  I need to accept the things I can’t change.  Unfortunately, that rarely works. Which is why I also practice meditation. I find that the more I practice stilling my mind of extraneous thought, the more I can stop worrying when I find worry counterproductive or paralyzing. (see Humanist Meditation course at: https://humanistlearning.com/humanist-meditations/

When that doesn’t work, I try to find humor in the fact that I get like this every once in a while. I console myself by thinking, I worry because it matters to me and it’s good that I have things I am passionate enough to worry about because not caring at all would be horrible. This usually works because I rarely worry excessively for more than a couple of days at a time.  Usually, whatever I am worried about will pass and I will be free to move on.

However, if it doesn’t pass, you may want to seek out professional help.  It turns out that psychologists and therapists have some really good tools to help you learn how to control your worries through Humanistic Psychology practices like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

How do you calm yourself when you get worried?  What works for you and what doesn’t?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...