Charles Darwin was right


Not just about evolution, but about anti-theism as well.

I am a Humanist and as a Humanist, I value Freethought on all subjects: including religion. We Freethinkers know no taboo.

However, you will also notice that I rarely write or speak about religion, focusing instead on how we all can use the tools of Freethought and critical thinking and compassion based ethics to lead better more ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity.  

I take this approach because I know the benefits of this approach aren’t just for the non-religious. Everyone can benefit even if they don’t make full use of the tools. 

I am on occasion asked why I don’t take a more anti-theist approach. The quick reason is because I’m not an anti-theist. I’m a Humanist. I honestly don’t care what other people believe or don’t. I care whether they are a good person.  The other reason is because I don’t see that debates about belief or not belief do any good. I see them cause conflict, but not much learning.

On this subject, I am going to defer to Charles Darwin who said, 
“I am a strong advocate for free thought on all subjects, yet it appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity & theism produce hardly any effect on the public; freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds, which follow[s] from the advance of science. It has, therefore, been always my object to avoid writing on religion, I have confined myself to science. I may, however, have been unduly biased by the pain which it would give some members of my family, if I aided in any way direct attacks on religion.”
— Charles Darwin

On these matters I agree with Charles Darwin. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...