What a letter from Anton Chekov to his brother can teach us about what it means to be a good human being.
There is a great article over at Brain Pickings on the qualities of cultured people. It was written by Anton Chekov – link here: http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2013/01/29/anton-chekhov-8-qualities-of-cultured-people/
As a Humanist, I love this list and wanted to translate it into a list of 10 basic rules for Humans and therefor Humanists.
- Respect everyone you meet, regardless of station.
- Have sympathy for everyone you meet, including those who annoy you.
- Do not cause harm to others.
- Be honest, it makes life easier
- Don’t wallow in self-pity
- Don’t brag
- Cultivate your talents and put them to good use
- Try to keep things clean and try to make your life beautiful
- Ennoble your sexual instincts, don’t treat lovers as objects, they are real humans just like you.
- Always strive to improve yourself.
And I just realized I’ve written my very own 10 list. aaaaggh! Forgive me. Just be good. Carry on.