There is a difference between making money helping people solve problems - and selling people solutions they don't need and that don't work


I meet a lot of people. Many - are focused on making money. They don't care how they make it - only that they make it. And I get it. I've been there. I've struggled to make ends meet. We qualified for medicaid at one point when both my husband and I were unemployed. I don't EVER want to go there again.

The problem with focusing on how YOU make money - is that it is very hard to run a business that is based on YOU making money. And the reason for that is because - if you focus on you - you aren't focused on your customers.

I have nothing against the profit motive. I am motivated by profit. It's just that - I also understand that asking people to purchase any of my fine courses - because I need money - isn't going to make them purchase my courses.

If I want them to take one of my courses or to hire me - I need to help them solve a problem THEY have.   Bonus - if I actually help them solve their problem well and ethically and at a fair price.

I don't sell people things they don't need or that don't work. That's what charlatans do. They disdain their clients as rubes and exploit them. THAT is not the Humanist way.

A Humanist approaches capitalism and the market - with fairness in mind. The exchange between customer and supplier - is fundamentally - fair.  As Maya MacGuineas, the president of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget wrote in a recent Atlantic article, "In a well-functioning market, consumers have the freedom to act in their own self-interest and to maximize their own well-being. Prices are transparent, and people have a basic level of trust that exchanges of goods, services, and money benefit all parties." - https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/04/capitalisms-addiction-problem/606769/

A sense of transparency and fairness for both the consumer and the seller - is crucial. Yes - there are lots of sellers that violate that trust and do - on demand pricing to maximize that profit.  If you go to my website -you will see - I post all my prices. I do offer group discounts - but that is also transparent. I give individual discounts to existing customers as a thank you for supporting my work. https://humanistlearning.com/programsoffered/

If you are honest with yourself - you want to work with sellers who are honest, compassionate and will treat you fairly and who will give you a good service that will really solve your problem.

So be that business for others. It is possible to both make money AND run an ethical business. That is what we should all be striving for.   Don't exploit your customers and don't exploit your employees.  Make your money by helping people solve their problems, honestly and fairly.

And if you are in the market for professional and personal development training or harassment/bullying training that is based in science and compassion and that will actually work - check out the programs I offer. Thanks.

https://humanistlearning.com/programsoffered/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...