My son: On Humanism

I like to think my son is brilliant.  Here is a statement of philosophy he came up with the other day.

“There is no god – only the good inside of us.
There is no devil – only the bad inside of us.
There is no war – only really big arguments.
There is no evil – just misled people.”

To say I’m proud is an understatement.   But it’s not just my kid who has been thinking deep thoughts. And it’s not just Humanists who think deep thoughts. My friend sent me a statement his daughter made. They are Christians, but clearly share a humanistic mindset. She says.

“There is no justice in the laws of nature … no term for fairness in the equations of motion.
The universe is neither good nor evil, it simply cannot care.
The stars don’t care. Or the sun. or the sky.
But they don’t have to. We care.
There IS LIGHT in the world and it is US!
That is the beauty of sentient thought.”

I couldn’t agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...