Being the Adult

Why reminding yourself to not act like a child when you get in an argument matters.

I am the first one to admit that I don’t always practice what I preach. I have this cool new course on how to win arguments without arguing (see: https://humanistlearning.com/socratic-jujitsu/) and I still find myself doing everything I say not to do in my course.

Whenever I act childish, I get the exact results I predict I would get in my course. I don’t win and I look like a childish idiot.

I’m sharing this with you because being an adult isn’t easy. Taking the high road isn’t easy. In order to adult, I have to override my animal childish instincts to fight! It takes a conscious choice. And I don’t know if you’ve noticed, I’m highly opinionated and competitive. I like to win!

Which is why, when I find myself not getting the results I want and feeling bad about how I am behaving, I make a conscious choice to change.  I don’t have to keep doing stupid stuff and behaving immaturely. I can choose to take the high road. And pretty much every time I have, I have seen immediate good results. The entire tone of what was happening changes and things get easier. Instead of batting heads with someone, I am now collaborating. I am the adult professional I strive to be.

What I teach does work. I encourage you to learn from me.  I just don’t want you to think I am perfect or that being the adult is easy. It isn’t. What I will tell you, from experience, is that it is worth making the effort.

To register for this course – go to: https://humanistlearning.com/socratic-jujitsu/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...