Up and Down

There are no guarantees in life and that’s ok.

I grew up in CA which has wonderful peaches. We had a peach tree in our yard.  I live in FL now and I have a problem. Getting CA peaches isn’t always possible. We get peaches from Chile and FL and GA and sometimes CA and the quality is never consistent.  We will have a run of good juicy of my goodness wonderful peaches and then suddenly, the only peaches you can buy are mealy.  Buying peaches here is a gamble. It’s frustrating.

Why am I telling you this? Because it’s a good metaphor for life.  Dr. Suess has a wonderful story – “Oh the Places You Will Go.”  You will see great sights, except when you don’t, because sometimes you won’t.

There are no guarantees in life. Sometimes you will soar and everything will be great. Other times, you can’t catch a break. I’m almost 50 now. I realize women aren’t supposed to admit that. But I’ve had my share of ups and downs.

It’s easy to want to hide the downs. You don’t want to bring other people down. So we pretend we are ok, when we really aren’t.  We also pretend we are ok in the hopes that our luck will change. Even though we can’t be guaranteed that it will. Or when it will.

I don’t feel the need to hide my downs anymore. When I lost my first child, I didn’t want to go to my 20th high school reunion. My brother encouraged me to go and told me, at this point, everyone has experienced a tragedy. And he was right.  We all have our ups and downs and our downs are nothing to be ashamed of.

In fact, the more honest you are about your downs, the more your friends and family can help you get the help you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...