Overcoming regret

Regret is a double edged sword.


On the one hand it feels bad. On the other, it spurs us to action.  It turns out that the things we regret most are actually the things we have the most power to change.

According to research – summarized by Barking Up the Wrong Tree - http://www.bakadesuyo.com/2014/05/overcome-regret/ - the things we regret most are, not getting an education, our career choices, lost romances, parenting, self-improvement and not taking enough time for leisure.

You know what is great about this list?  They are all fixable.

Maybe you didn’t get the education you wanted. So, make an effort now, to get more education. There are online courses you can take from major universities Maybe you made some bad career choices in the past. Well, muster up the courage and make a change. Now.

I’m not sure there is much you can do about lost romances, but you can certainly learn to parent better.  And self-improvement?  That’s a lifelong endeavor for a Humanist.

For me – the most important thing is leisure. I am really bad at it.  I love what I do. I love writing and thinking and I literally have to schedule down time to be with my family or I would spend my life thinking things and writing them down.  But I know it’s important to keep me sane and happy and I don’t want to miss my son’s childhood. So I schedule time and stick to it.

The best bit of advice I ever got was that we don’t regret the things we do, we regret the things we don’t do. If you are living with regret, there is a cure. Go do that thing you regret not doing.  You don’t have to accept the status quo if you aren’t happy with it.  With the exception of failed romances.  I feel pretty strongly that if they failed, there’s a reason they failed and those are best left alone.  But everything else, go for it.

What do you regret the most and what are you going to do to fix it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...