Ennui

Overcoming Ennui and finding a reason to be excited again.


 First, I have no idea how to pronounce this word.  I say it completely differently than my mother. I suspect my mother’s pronunciation is correct. She usually is. (According to this YouTube video – she is correct - http://youtu.be/K6JhrcK-Q6c)

Even though I have no idea how to pronounce it properly and will probably continue to mispronounce it (don’t judge me I have freedom of speech), I love this word. It’s fun to say – though now I know that I’ve been saying it wrong, perhaps I will reconsider. As for what it means, it means - a feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement. 

I admit I don’t experience ennui very often because I don’t get bored very often.   It is only when I stop doing things that I give my mind a chance to relax and consider new things. And that always gets me excited.  I find a lot of value in doing nothing and relaxing.

But relaxing and allowing your mind to consider new things because it is bored and bored brains don’t like to not think so they start thinking of new things to think of is very different from ennui.

Ennui is about dissatisfaction. It’s a cousin to apathy. I gather it’s a feeling of not wanting doing anything because boredom has become so complete and something new wouldn't be any better. It’s deciding to be bored not to give your brain some free time, but because your brain has decided it simply can’t be bothered anymore.

I admit, I have experienced that from time to time.  Here’s what I do. Choose something to do. I don’t have to like it. My brain doesn't have to like it. I just need to start.  Brains are a lot like my 8 year old son. He will complain he doesn't want to do something. He may even through a bit of a tantrum, but once he gets started, he ends up liking it.  

Take control of your brain. You are, after all the adult here, just like I force my kid to sometimes. And the more you do it and the more it learns it actually has a good time, the more it starts seeking out these things on its own. This is probably why my brain practically begs me to take some time off – so it can pursue its own thoughts without me interfering.

So – if you are suffering from ennui – stop. Take control of your brain. You are, after all the adult here, and make it do something, even if it doesn't want to. And if that doesn't work, try again. And if that doesn't work – consider seeing a therapist, because it’s possible something else is wrong.

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...