The High Cost of Being Unethical


Why pretending that you don’t need to prioritize ethics is hurting you.


I’m pretty lazy. I don’t like to do things that cause me more work.  This is one of the main reasons why I prioritize being ethical.  It saves me a lot of grief. I avoid scandal (unless someone else draws me in against my will). I avoid mistakes that were easily avoided. Plus, being responsible for my actions makes me work harder and I feel like I get more done. My ethics don’t allow me to excuse myself for not doing what I’m supposed to do.

All these benefits also transfer over into the workplace.  A study by the Josephson Institute reports on the cost of unethical behavior in the workplace is eye opening (see: http://josephsoninstitute.org/pdf/Report_HiddenCostsUnethicalBehavior.pdf)

Here are a few of the costs associated with unethical workplace behavior:

Lost sales
Costs associated with legal fees resulting from scandals and problems
Employee fraud (estimated at $600 billion/year)
High employee turnover is pretty expensive
Costs associated with intentionally sabotaged projects
Costs associated with poor problem solving resulting for poor communication and withheld information

So the question we need to ask ourselves is – is allowing our ethics to lapse for expediency really expedient?  I don’t think so. It’s like anything. There is always a cost associated with your actions. Choose your actions wisely, prioritize your ethics, and make your life a little bit easier and better as a result.

1 comment:

  1. Every employee should always maintain an ethical and professional behavior. Not only will this benefit their career, but also create a harmonious and healthy environment on their workspace. Sadly, not everyone adheres to this ideal. And worse, they could potentially cost their employer losses in their revenue. Though I hope that through campaigns, employee trainings, and surveillance solutions it will soon stop. Thanks for sharing!

    Betty Rose @ Phenix Investigations

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...