What am I thankful for?


Reflecting on what makes my life worth living.


Every night before I go to sleep, I take the time to run through a list of what I am grateful for in my life. Or rather, who I am grateful for. Because what matters to me isn’t the tv I have, or rather don’t have.  What matters to me are the people who I am lucky enough to share my life with.

I am thankful for my husband. He keeps me calm and helps me in a myriad of ways. He’s cute and funny and nice and handy to have around. I genuinely like being around him and having him in my life and every night before I go to sleep, I think to myself how much I love him.

I also think about how thankful I am to have my son. He’s funny and cute and a good cuddler and smart and interesting and I love hanging around with him too.  He is a joy to spend time with, even when he is annoying me (most of the time anyway). I genuinely like him so in addition to thinking about how much I love my husband I also think about how much I love my son.

The final think I think about before I go to sleep is how thankful I am to be alive. After all, I just as easily might not have been. And then, to quote Dr. Seuss I’d be a wasn’t and a wasn’t has no fun at all, no he doesn’t.  Being alive is, if you’ll forgive me, a miracle. I have no intention of wasting it. So every night, just before I go to sleep, I think about how much I love being alive, despite what all might be going on to annoy or upset or scare me.

Having done that I find I am in a happy contented mood and I fall easily asleep. I suppose you could consider this routine a sort of pre-sleep meditation. But it works for me and I am reminded every day what my true priorities are.

What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...