Responsibility and Possibility

What if I could help one person today?




I love what if questions. They open up a world of possibilities. One of the participants on the Applied Humanism discussion group at LinkedIn – Suellen, asked this what if question.

“What if I could help one person today?”

I love this question! It is a reminder to be responsible for making the world a better place. But that we don’t have to set out to change the world. We just have to help one person. As Suellen goes on to say, “the value of this question is that it keeps change "do-able" but embraces the possibility of forward momentum via the domino effect.”

This is such a perfect question for a Humanist because it is about responsibility and possibility.

I recently read a book - Piece by Piece by Wendy Naarup - which was actually a really good book despite the supernatural afterlife part of it. In it, one of the questions asked is, did you do something nice for someone today. I have started asking my son that question when I ask him how things went at school. The expectation is that we will all do something nice for someone every day. It can be little, as long as you make an effort.

So, what have you done to help someone today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...