Today is going to be a good day


How a change in perspective can make all the difference in the world.


It’s Good Friday, but I’m a Humanist, so the religious implications of the day mean pretty much nothing to me.  I do however LOVE the name of this holiday. Good Friday. It implies that it’s going to be a good day. And that’s a good thing. Isn’t it?

Life would be wonderful if it was filled with good days. But I suspect that most of us would be grateful if we managed to have a Good Friday now and again. Which begs the question, how does one go about having a good day?

To me, a good day is one where I feel good, pretty much all day. Nothing major happens bad or good. Just, life goes on as it should. There are people in my life I care about, who I can spend time with. I eat good food and have time to enjoy it. I get to notice nature and appreciate it and the fact that I am alive.

As I write this list I realize that almost everything in my list is within my control. Am I a good enough person to attract good people to me? Am I appreciating my life in the present? Do I notice my food or the weather and appreciate it for what it is? The more I make that a habit, the more I see my days as pretty darned good over all.

As I have gotten older, I have come to realize. Most days are pretty boring. Nothing much happens out of the ordinary. There are just a myriad of little details that need to be attended to and a myriad of little aggravations that have to be worked around. I no longer let those bother me. They are just part of the business of being alive. I don’t need to get worked up over them.

So stop waiting to have a good day and start appreciating the days you already have, actively. Take a moment every day to appreciate the fact that you are alive and that you can feel the wind on your skin and the pull of gravity. As far as I am concerned, any day I am alive and able to experience life is a good day, even when it’s not.

What makes you feel glad to be alive?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...