Tell me everything is gonna be alright!

Today is International Love Song Day. A day to think about your favorite love song, because, lets face it, the world would be a much sadder place without love songs.  As I was thinking about what my favorite love song is - I thought - well, what’s my favorite Beatle’s love song?  “I’ve Just Seen a Face” is one of my favorites.  I like it’s simplicity and innocence.  Then I thought, maybe a Duran Duran or Spandau Ballet song might be my favorite.  And I immediately thought of “I’ll Fly for You.”

But as I was thinking about this - I realized, nothing beats a Hawaiian love song.  I literally can spend all day listening to Hawaiian love songs. And then I have trouble.  There are so many I love, that none immediately jump to mind as my favorite.

Do I choose something from Cecilio and Kapono? Goodnight and Goodmorning is certainly one of my favorites. But so is pretty much every song they ever recorded.  Song for Someone, Lovin in your eyes, or About You, come to mind.  But why limit myself to C&K?  Why not go with You Ku’uipo, which is one of my all-time favorite songs. And by all-time favorite, I mean, if all I could do is listen to this song for the rest of my life I would be ok with that. But then how can you forget Far Too Wide For Me by Peter Moon and Patrick Downes? Anyone who’s lived in the islands goes to complete mush when they hear that song. There’s a reason it’s used in the telephone commercial.

But then I realized, no, I know the best love song in the world.  Danny’s Song by Loggins and Messina but sung by a Hawaiian. Every band in Hawaii covers this song. Pretty much every show is ended with this song and everyone in the audience sings along at the top of their lungs with tears in their eyes as they do so.  It is one of the best love songs ever written. Everyone can relate and once you’ve experienced the joy of a community sing along to it, your life will never be the same again.  So there you go. Don’t believe me?  Here is a video of Kapono in New Orleans in 2007 with the crowd singing along. 

Even though we ain’t got money, I’m so in love with you honey. Everything will bring a chain of love. And in the morning when I rise, you bring a tear of joy to my eyes and tell me everything is gonna be alright!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...